Thursday 29 October 2009

Infrastructure issues that prevent me consuming sustainably

A couple of weeks back I decided to investigate whether I could reduce my carbon footprint by using a combination of bike and train to get to UEA once or twice a week (4 mile cycle to East Harling Station, train to Norwich, bike to UEA). I then had a look at the train timetable and found the service was very limited with gaps between services of 1.5 hours or more! There is a very limited bus service from the village which, I was told, takes over an hour to get to Norwich and runs infrequently (I had a look for a timetable in the village but couldn't find one!) and, I was told, takes over an hour to get to Norwich....

Which explains why, at present the biggest infrastructure issue getting in the way of me consuming in a more sustainable manner is the poor public transport infrastructure in south Norfolk - I need to use my car to do anything apart from a basic shop at the local store or go to the pub!

The second big thing, which I guess is in part created by infrastructure issues, is pressures on time, bad enough now but much worse when working. This results in behaviours such as shopping at the supermarket rather than going to a number of local shops in Diss or Attleborough

Many of the other issues that get in the way of me consuming more sustainably are either things I can tackle given a bit of time and money (ie switching to renewables to heat the barn) or are the result of history. By which I mean that my network of friends, and hence social life, is scattered from London to Glasgow which adds to my travel footprint (although I do use the train!).

3 comments:

  1. Some argue that cities are far more low carbon than the country for this reason. There are solutions, but its trying to find a way.

    There is car sharing, but it's not that accessible and tends to focus on workplaces. Web based technology should be a way forward and I'm encouraged by the example of freecycle. If people could simply state their journey, then people looking for a lift could get a lift.

    I'm also reminded of travels in Turkey where there was a hybrid taxi/bus service. Basically a car travels a certain route but makes it clear that it will accept lifts. You simply flag it down and pay a bit of money.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I sympathise, after living in North Norfolk near Aylsham, it was a 2 hour bus ride to get to UEA or a 30 minute drive. That's one reason we moved to the city, and now we barely use the car at all. So yes, I do think the density of living in cities contributes to them being greener. Not to mention all the insulation you get being in a terraced house with other warm houses on either side!

    About the car sharing - Ben, liftshare.com sounds like just what you're describing, a hugely successful national social enterprise based just outside Norwich, and we send ENV students thereon placements too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In response to Ben and Gill - agree with Ben that many aspects of city life are more low carbon. I lived in Edinburgh for a number of years and walked almost every where, only using the car to head out to the coast or hill walking. Similarly, I've lived in the centre of London without a car very happily.
    Slightly off the wall, I was also reminded of action Durham County Council took in the late 70's/early 80's where they designated a number of old mining villages 'C villages'. These villages were dying followingthe closure of the mines and the council took steps to encourage remaining residents to move away. Wonder if we'll see something similar in the future with councils encouraging people to move from settlements that are expensive to access and to provide services to.

    ReplyDelete